Growing up, I never
played with Barbie dolls. I also have always been taught that everyone is
beautiful in their own way and there is not one single definition for beauty.
Maybe it is because of those reasons but as I read this piece, I felt as if
some of the views Prager has on how Barbie has affected society are a bit
extreme. Prager’s notion that Barbie has led to the popularity of breast
implant surgery and that Mr. Ryan designed Barbie “as a weapon” to fight the
feminist movement just seem slightly unconvincing to me. Barbie is a
toy. There are so many other influences that could have led to the
increased popularity of breast implant surgery such as celebrities and social
media! The section of Prager’s piece that I found the most absurd was the
ending. “How do you think I felt, knowing that no matter how many water beds
they slept in, or hot tubs they romped in, or swimming pools they lounged by
under the stars, Barbie and Ken could never make love?” Dolls can’t have
babies. Even if both Barbie and Ken had proper genitals, they still could
not make love. In addition to this, I also find how Prager thinks there is a “loneliness
about Barbie’s situation” a little strange. Dolls don’t have
feelings. Barbie isn’t lonely!
Because of all this, I am
lead to believe that this piece, “Our Barbies, Ourselves”, was written
satirically. Prager exaggerates her point and uses extreme examples to assert that
gender equality is an issue that needs to be addressed. This use of exaggeration to prove a point is similar
to how O’Brien amplifies events in The
Things We Carry. In order to convince
her audience of the imposed gender norms that persist in today’s society
effectively, it is necessary for Prager to use this sarcastic tone to communicate
her ideas successfully.
No comments:
Post a Comment